I love a banana; cereal topped with banana, banana milkshake, banana cake… yes please. In my opinion, they’re at their prime when the banana peel is bright yellow with some brown spots, but much like a ripe avocado, there’s such a small window of time for The Perfect Banana— anything before the freckled-goodness and it’s too unripe; anything longer and it’s too sweet and mushy. If your family is anything like mine, then you buy more bananas each week than you can consume. In fact, if we get to the end of the week and there are none left in the fruit bowl, then it feels like we’ve really accomplished something great.
A banana cake is the perfect solution to using up those overripe bananas (plus it’s an excuse to eat cake and you can con yourself into believing it’s one of your five-a-day, right?) It reminds me of going to my mum’s every Sunday, where nine times out of ten there’s some delicious homebaked treats on offer (and half of them are usually gone before lunch is ready!)
But that’s enough about my love affair with bananas— you’re probably here because you want to know how to bake a delicious banana cake yourself. This is the best recipe for banana cake that I’ve ever baked and eaten. (Yes, I may be biased as it comes from my mum, but it’s honestly so lovely!) It’s so moist and has a crunchy topping and is best devoured warm, with a brew— and best of all, it’s a one-pan kind of deal! Anything that involves minimal washing up, gets my vote.
Easy Banana Cake
- 125g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 190g self-raising flour
- 60ml milk
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- loaf tin
- Grease and line your loaf tin and set the oven to 170ºc / gas mark 3
- Melt the butter and sugar in a pan, over a medium heat
- Remove from the heat and mix in the bananas
- Add the egg and mix well
- Stir in the flour and milk
- Pour into your tin and sprinkle over the demerara sugar
- Place in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes (or until a skewer or knife comes out clean) and leave to cool a little, if you can resist!